This one-day course contains essential information, state and federal regulations, boating safety equipment, nautical knots, introduction to charts, rules of the road, navigation aids, and lights and sound signals. Course sessions are taught by certified United States Power Squadron instructors.
America's Boating Course is recognized by the U.S. Coast Guard
and has been approved by the National Association of State
Boating Law Administrators (NASBLA).
• Pass the standardized test and receive: USCG Recognized Safe Boating Wallet Card, and SCDNR Safe Boater Card.
Sections given in the Outline below reference the America's Boating Course 3rd Edition manual.
Section numbers refer to the relevant chapters in the student guide.
• Registration and Course Introduction
• Section 1 Getting Started
• Section 2 Required Safety Equipment
• Section 3 Going Boating
• Section 4 Navigation Rules
• Section 5 Navigation Aids
• Section 6 Lights and Sound Signals
• Section 7 Government Regulation
• Section 8 State and Local Section
• Section 9 Finding Your Way
• Section 10 Anchoring
• Section 11 Adverse Conditions
• Section 12 Communications Afloat
• Section 13 Water Sports Safety
• Section 14 Trailering
• Section 15 PWC Operation
• Section 16 Knots and Lines
• Federal and State Boating Regulations
• Course Review (Review of the essential topics prior to test)
For further information, you may contact